- Who will be using the new LionPATH student interface?
- What if I’m both a staff member and a student?
- What about parents/guardians?
- What will be changing in the new interface?
- Will this affect the mobile app?
- Where will students go to log in to LionPATH?
- How will students know about the change to the interface?
- How will students be trained on the new interface?
- When will students use the new interface?
- Why is the interface being updated?
- Why is the interface not being updated for staff?
- How will I be able to advise students if I’m not seeing what they’re seeing?
- Why am I seeing Student View when I expect Classic View or vice versa?
- Why do I sometimes end up in Classic View when I’m in the middle of a Student View session?
- Is there a list of known issues and enhancement requests?
Who will be using the new LionPATH student interface?
The new user interface will be for students only.
What if I’m both a staff member and a student?
If you are a Penn State staff member and are also a student at Penn State, or if you have been a student in the past, then you will have access to the new user interface (Student View).
If you do have access to the new Student View you will be able to switch between the Classic View (original LionPATH) and Student View by using a link in the header. (Please note: When doing staff-related work, the Classic View should be used.)
What about parents/guardians?
Parents/Guardians will continue to access LionPATH using the classic (original) LionPATH view.
What will be changing in the new interface?
It’s important to note that changes are being made to the appearance of LionPATH, but not the content. No processes are changing, and the LionPATH team has been very mindful to use the same terms and language within the new interface.
The most significant change that students will see is on the home page. Many of the deeper links within LionPATH have minor cosmetic changes, but still look very similar to the original interface. Other less frequently used pages will continue to look the same as the original interface.
Will this affect the mobile app?
No. Students will see no change when using the mobile app.
Where will students go to log in to LionPATH?
Students will continue to access LionPATH at: http://launch.lionpath.psu.edu.
How will students know about the change to the interface?
An email was sent to all students alerting them of the roll-out of the interface. There will also be an article in Penn State Today, as well as messages via social media and the LionPATH launch page.
How will students be trained on the new interface?
Throughout the beta test, the LionPATH team monitored student use and questions about the new interface. During this effort, we observed that students had very few questions pertaining to navigation since the new interface is far more intuitive than the old one. We are reworking tutorial materials to ensure that students have access to documentation that reflects the new look and feel.
When will students use the new interface?
Students will begin using the new interface the week after spring 2017 graduation.
Why is the interface being updated?
The single most common complaint received from students was that the LionPATH interface was antiquated and difficult to navigate. After some investigation, we determined that we could address this problem without substantively changing the software.
Why is the interface not being updated for staff?
While some of the LionPATH pages that staff members view appear to be the same as those students see, they are not. The effort required to rework the new “student view” was significant and precluded doing a simultaneous revamp for non-student users. We are aware of adviser concerns and have done everything possible to enable advisers and students to bridge the appearance differences.
How will I be able to advise my students if I’m not seeing what they’re seeing?
We completely understand that this situation is not ideal, and may cause some confusion and difficulties in advising students. To that end, we are developing training and help materials to assist you in your advising role.
- Students are able to switch to “Classic LionPATH” at any time, so they will see the same view that their adviser sees, if necessary.
- Student help materials are being updated to reflect the new interface, and will be available for you to reference.
- A demo of the new interface has been developed to help advisers navigate the new interface while working with students: https://tutorials.lionpath.psu.edu/LionPATH_Demo.
Why am I seeing Student View when I expect Classic View or vice versa?
If you are a current Penn State student or have been a student in the past, then your default view is the new Student View. Clicking on the Classic View link in the header will bring you to the original LionPATH view and will set a cookie in your browser so that your new default view will be Classic for one year. Since the default view is set by a cookie in the browser, there are a number of ways your default view could change. Some examples include:
- going to LionPATH in a different browser;
- using a private or incognito session;
- clearing your out your cookies, which often happens when clearing browsing history.
If you find yourself in an unexpected view, click on either the Student View or Classic View link as appropriate to get to your desired view.
If you would like to see the Classic View every time you launch LionPATH then change the URL for your LionPATH bookmark to https://www.lionpath.psu.edu/psp/CSPRD/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/h/?tab=DEFAULT&lpoldui=true
Why do I sometimes end up in Classic View when I’m in the middle of a Student View session?
If the header is still the Student View header (new), then you are still in a Student View session. Not all of the LionPATH pages have been converted to the Student View look and feel. Pages were converted to the new look and feel based on usage and available resources. Student Center has not been converted to the new look and feel, as it is not intended to be used in the Student View. The home page tabs are a replacement for Student Center. If you are on Student Center, select one of the home page tabs to return to the full Student View experience.
Is there a list of known issues and enhancement requests?
Yes, please see the User Interface Activities page.